Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Hicks Ave's Last Tree Standing


 
My name is Celeste Carrasco, a student at CSULA. I created a tree out of bottle caps from bottles and cans that I collected around my neighborhood. It was a difficult decision creating this, I went through three different models to decide on what to make. When I was walking around my neighborhood with my 13 year old brother, I noticed that there were more bottles on the floor than trees. I walked to my neighborhood park, Salazar Park, and noticed kids playing with bottle caps rather than running around and being active.
I created the tree for my neighborhood to realize that as a group we can get rid of the trash on our street so that our trees can grow healthy. I picked up two dozens plastic bottles and two dozens glass bottles in less than half an hour. One of my neighbors asked me and my brother why were we carrying around bags of bottles, my brother responded, “Just making our neighborhood look nice for once”. The next day the same neighbor was recycling his own bottles. Slowly, but surely my neighborhood will understand what one single bottle can do to our environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment