Thursday, October 24, 2013

Blooming Trash



Alejandra Rodriguez
English 101
prof. Ragana, Lollie

The concept of my project was to take something ugly and destructive, like trash that was contributing to the pollution in our beaches and create art. I made a bouquet of soda can flowers in a vase. The flowers I made from cutting and folding soda cans and are held together by tape. The stems of the flowers are made on cotton swabs and held in the vase by Styrofoam and tape as well. The vase is my favorite part of my piece. The bottom half of the vase is made of a soda bottle cap, from a soda that I drank. The top half is made of a broken light bulb from when I accidently dropped my lamp. I used tape to cover all cracks and sharp edges of the bulb. I glued the bulb upside down to the bottle cap to give it its vase shape. Finally I covers the entire thing in white out so that the texture of the “vase” would allow me to draw on it. The concept of my art piece is that you can take something ugly such as trash on earth and you can reduce, reuse, and recycle it to make something beautiful. This explains why I have the can flowers blooming from the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment