Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Feed Me!



After I learned from the Heal the Bay presentation about why we, humans, should keep our beaches clean, and how the oceans, as well as other water sources, benefit our planet, I decided to create a model of a sea turtle for my "art project." As many people are aware, sea turtles are one of the many animals on Earth that are endangered species. The reason why is because many oceanic areas carry harmful contents that sea turtles would be mistaken as food. For instance, when a balloon pops after being released into the air, the latex fragments may take shape of a jellyfish, which is one of the food sources sea turtles eat. For my model, I used a banana peel for the turtle’s limbs, and used krazy glue to paste the limbs onto a styrofoam I found cut in half. Next, I used advertisement pages and newspapers that were going to be disposed, topped it with seaweed found on the beach, and wrapped it with a plastic bag that was torn after holding newspapers. The reason why I used seaweed as part of my model is because I wanted to identify the reality and expectation of what sea turtles eat. In other words, many of us believe that sea turtles would consume greens and little critters, but in reality, turtles would also eat pieces of plastic, papers, or any trash that were thrown away in the wrong place.



No comments:

Post a Comment