Wednesday, June 1, 2016

The Scarecrow


For this art project I had an idea to portray trash as “evil” and why not do that with making trash a supervillain in the DC’s comic Batman. My art project is scarecrow himself. I came up with the idea because I was watching Chris Nolan’s action-packed trilogy Batman, and a grand idea came to me to make the mask and gauntlet of the scarecrow. The idea came to me because of one main reason; I found the perfect burlap sack lying on the ground someone left for me to use.
            The materials I used for this project were very common to find on the street. The main component of my art project is several pieces of plastic. Plastic is honestly everywhere and people use it everywhere. In both my two pieces of plastic you can find plastic. For example, in the gauntlet shown the main body is made of a two-liter plastic bottle and on the outside are more 16-ounce water bottles around it. On the mask, you can easily find that the respirator is made of two plastic laundry tops.
            Okay, so let us get started with the building process. First, I took the burlap sack and cut it into pieces so it can have a definitive shape to it. I cut the mask into four sections: the front, two sides, and the top of the head. I then cut two identical holes and one large oval shaped hole to mimic two eyeballs and a mouth. After that, I took the excess of the burlap, cut two pieces out, colored it black, and placed them behind the eyeholes so people cannot see the person wearing the mask. I then took more of the excess and added texture to the mask so that it did not look flat. Finally, I added the last component to this mask. I painted the respirators gray and hot glued them to the sides of the mask.
For the gauntlet section of this project, I cut a two-liter soda bottle in half and rolled it to make it appear smaller. After that, I used duct tape I found lying around in my house and used a healthy amount of tape to cover it up. I then cut a styrofoam cup and put more duct tape around it to make a gray ring. After that, I slipped it on the foundation of the gauntlet to add texture. I also found some pieces of metal in my house and made them a nice addition to my gauntlet I then got three water bottles cut them in half as well and rolled them up to make tubes. After I assembled the gauntlet I spray painted the whole thing gray.
And there you have it! Two key components of the supervillain Scarecrow from the DC comics Batman. A supervillain to portray that trash is the route of all-evil. I honestly had a blast making this art project. It allowed me to have fun and get really creative with this project. Without the burlap sack, I found on the ground I would not be able to create this supervillain. Thank you to whoever left this on the ground. I would not have done it without you!

No comments:

Post a Comment