Thursday, June 2, 2016

                                                            Love at First Sight

Recently my classmates and I helped clean up Dockweiler beach for Heal The Bay. At first I didn’t think that there would be a lot of trash but soon found out that I was wrong. My classmates and I collected a total of 1697 pieces of trash which majority of the trash included: cigarette butts, styrofoam pieces, plastic pieces, plastic wrappers, and plastic bottle caps/rings. I was surprised to find all that trash at the beach and more surprised that people can ignore the fact that our beaches are being destroyed by pollution. All that trash doesn’t just end up there by the people leaving it when they go to the beach but also by trash being washed up unto the shore. Trash ends up in the beach from storm drains that cities have or by the trash coming unto the shore from other rivers and places. Helping clean the beach made me realize that we need to do more to save our beaches and to help keep them clean.  

My art project is called Love at first sight. I named it this because the couple in the art are in love with each other, the man fell in love with the women's personal beauty. Now with the beach people automatically fall in love with its beauty. The message is that mother nature gave us beautiful beaches to fall in love with, to cherish and protect like we have women to cherish, protect, and love. We have to protect our beaches and keep them clean, to maintain its beauty that its offering us. I mainly used plastic bottle caps because that was one of the items that I mainly found as I cleaned the beach.  I used other items such as a kids toy because kids tend to leave toys behind, a plastic flower just because it was interesting such as the cautious tape, plastic bubble wrap, string, a spring wire, and a cardboard circle. My intent is for people to see how beauty can be everywhere such as nature or humans and so can the love for someone or something. In order to keep our beaches, nature, and the environment clean, we have to help fight pollution by doing something simple such as a clean up, restoring habitats, or just stopping people from throwing trash on the ground and harming our environment.


No comments:

Post a Comment